Changing jobs can be one of the more stressful events in life, and combined with the COVID-19 outbreak, your stress level may be high. This is a time to take extra care of yourself. Everyone has different strategies. We have a few suggestions below that may help you.
While you may feel like putting your job search on hold, it’s important that you don’t. Many industries are hiring right now and it’s best to be prepared.
To manage your stress and build resilience, try these tips from the experts:
- Exercise - Go for a walk or take time to exercise. Experts recommend at least 2.5 hours each week of moderate physical activity which releases “endorphins” that naturally make you feel better, feel less stressed and can help you sleep. Remember to check with your doctor before starting any new exercise program.
- Practice relaxation techniques - Try deep breathing, meditation or stretching. These can help activate what’s called your “parasympathetic” nervous system which relaxes your body and calms your mind.
- Get enough sleep - Sleep re-energizes the body's cells, clears waste from the brain and supports learning and memory. Are you getting enough sleep?
- Focus on the positive - Take a break from negative news and instead think about what you’re thankful for. According to research, this can reduce the stress hormone cortisol by 23% and improve your energy and mood and lower cortisol levels.
- Stick to a routine - Create a daily routine which may include getting up at the same time daily, eating healthy meals, spending regular time on your job search, getting the right exercise and getting good sleep.
Hop over to NextJob Training and log in to your account to learn more.
(If you need access let us know!)